Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Roses Abound

I love roses! Roses and daisies are my two favorite flowers. Especially pink roses. I can't grow roses. Okay let's be honest I can't grow a thing because I have what they would call a black thumb. I actually killed a cactus like plant one time! A plant called hen and chicks and I really tried to keep it alive, I mean I really
tried. How does one kill a plant so closely related to a cactus? Well if there's a way I'd find one without intentionally doing so. I mean all I did was notice that the leaves were darker at the base and I touched it and it literally fell apart. I'm not kidding! All the little branches/leaves fell apart. The plant literally disintegrated right in front of my eyeballs. So it's a safe bet that houseplants are not a good gift for me. Ha!

Anyway there is a way I can have beautiful roses around me and that is to tat them. So all is not lost. I really love doing Jeanne Lugert's rose. I did a little designing last year and designed a green background to cover a Christmas Ornament and then attached Jeanne's roses to that. Came out very pretty I thought. I don't know if I can count it as part of my 25 motifs since it was tatted last year.


I also did a wedding garter this year using Jeanne Lugert's rose as well as Gina Butler garter pattern. It came out lovely! My friend who was getting married and could not find a garter to fit her liking or price range so I offered to make one for her. And here it is:



























And here is the lovely bride.

8 comments:

LadyShuttleMaker aka MadMadPotter said...

This is a lovely post! I love the rose ornament! Fab!

Carol Schockling Lawecki said...

mpThe ornament and the garter are both absolutely beautiful!

Lace-lovin' Librarian ~ Diane said...

I love your roses! I'm better off not touching the real thing... I have a black thumb too!

Unknown said...

OH, the garter turned out so nice. What a lovely thoughtful wedding gift for your friend!
I love love love that christmas ornament! I've done some tatting over CHristmas ornaments, too. I love the colors you used! They are beautiful! I hope someday you post the pattern...that part of designing is the hardest for me...LOL!

Rebecca Ramsey said...

What a pretty ornament! And I love that garter and how it goes with her dress!
My mom made my garter, and she made it too loose, so it slipped down my leg all the way down the aisle, until I stepped out of it (!) on my way up the stairs to the altar! A fun garter memory of our wedding!
Becky

Gina said...

Forgot to tell you I love that ornament with the roses. Christmas rose ornament.
:-) gina

Shay said...

Your roses are amazing! I love the Christmas ornament.

Ladytats said...

What beautiful tatted roses! Thank you for liking my pattern. I like it too. but haven't done it for a while, After seeing what you have done with it, I will have to make some more.
Your tatting is very good. congratulations.
I saw a wedding dress very similar to that one in Detroit Lakes last summer. It was a bit of a shock as I am so used to seeing single color wedding dresses - white or other pale neutral colors. Seeing a bright red accent on a white gown really stands out.
Ladytats